Chickpea, tomato & lentil soup
Chickpea, tomato & lentil soupNo comments
I love this quick lentil and chickpea soup. It tastes even better the next day, so make extra and eat it for lunch. None of the ingredients are expensive and it won’t take more than a half an hour to make. It’s vegetarian but has so much flavour and texture that you expect it not to be.
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins chickpeas, drained
- 2 fat cloves garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 litres chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 250g red lentils
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Half a lemon
- 1 tbsp paprika
More recipes like this
- Sauté the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes or so until it’s starting to soften (but not brown).
- Add the garlic and cumin for a minute or so.
- Add the tomato, lentils, sugar, paprika and stock, and cook for 15 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Add the drained chickpeas and cook for a few minutes until warm. Season to taste.
- Add the coriander and a squeeze of lemon and eat with some nice crusty bread.
Source: Niamh Shields