Television personality and Celebrity Masterchef Liz McClarnon dishes up a weekly serving of foodie trivia including personal culinary experiences and fantastic recipes to try at home
An Indian omelette
The great thing about eggs (apart from they're packed with vitamin D – which women need) is that people are just starting to realise that you can use them for main meals and they're not just a breakfast.
I have a great recipe for you today which is traditionally your typical breakfast in india but here in my family we eat it as a main meal. We love indian food in our house but we had to find ways to change it up a little using all the flavours.
That's when I tried out this Indian Omelette idea. Simple, under 400 calories and super tasty.
My bet is that you'll already have everything you need in your fridge and spice rack to make this, so just please give it a go – you WILL NOT be disappointed!!
Check out the video I made below for British Lion Eggs...
Indian omelette by Liz McClarnon
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 8 large British Lion eggs
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin salt to season
- Coriander, chopped, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the onion and fry for 4 minutes until soft. Stir in the chilli, the tomatoes and the spices and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and divide into four.
2. Heat a little oil in the frying pan, add one quarter of the tomato mixture to the pan, then pour in a quarter of the beaten eggs.
3. Cook over a medium heat pushing the cooked egg towards the centre of the pan until no runny egg remains.
4. Cook for a minute more until the base is golden
5. Fold the omelette in the pan and tip onto a warm plate. Garnish with chopped coriander.
6. Repeat to make three more omelettes in the same way.
For more recipe ideas visit www.eggrecipes.co.uk/mainmealsinminutes. For more information, please contact the British Egg Information Service on 020 7052 8899.