Making a hobby horse
This simple, adorable hobby horse is made from a sock and a broomstick and requires minimum craft skills
Extract taken from Creative Play for Your Toodler by Christopher Clouder and Janni Nicol, published by Octopus Publishing Group
What you'll need
- 1 small adult cotton or wool sock
- Carded, unspun sheep's wool (Tease unspun sheep's wool before use, pulling gently to separate dense fibres. A comb-like hand 'carder' speeds up the process).
- 85-100 cm (33-40 inch) pole, 1.5-3 cm (0.75-1.25 inches) in diameter. Or use a broomstick, but make sure you trim it down to a comfortable height for your child.
- Screwdriver and short flathead screw
- Sewing needle and thread
- Elastic band (optional)
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Felt or leather offcuts
- Thin fabric padding
- Dressmaking scissors
- Embroidery needle and embroidery thread
- Thick knitting yarn
- 2 metre (2 yard) length braid or ribbon
- 2 curtain rings
- 4 bells
- 80 cm (32 in) thick cord
- PVA glue
See next page for full instructions on how to make your hobby horse...