Soby’s white chocolate banana cream pie
Soby’s white chocolate banana cream pieNo comments
- 170g cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 120g plus 50g cup sugar
- 1/2 pound butter, cut into 1-inch pieces, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, whole
- 240ml milk
- 45g white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 480ml double cream
- 70g icing sugar
- 60ml creme de banana
- 130g white chocolate pastry cream, chilled
- 6 ripe bananas
- 1 11-inch tart shell, baked and cooled
- White chocolate, thick piece for garnish
- Cocoa powder
More recipes like this
- For the Tart Shell: Place the flour and sugar (120g) in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. On low speed, add half the cold butter and mix for 30 seconds, then add the remaining butter. Continue to mix until all the butter is cut into the flour and the mix resembles sand. Lightly beat together one egg and the vanilla in a small bowl and add it to the flour and butter. Continue to mix until a dough ball is formed. If the dough does not form a ball after 1 minute, add a few drops of water.
- Remove the dough from the mixer. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill. Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C. Have ready an 11-inch removable-bottom tart mold. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 1⁄8-inch thick circle large enough to fit the mold. Press the dough into the tart mold. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Bake the crust for 16 to18 minutes or until it is golden brown and crisp.
- For the Pastry Cream: Pour the milk into a heavy bottom 2-qt saucepan. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the back of a small knife. Add the seeds and pod halves to the milk. Heat the milk until it is about to boil. While the milk is heating, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar (50g), salt, and two eggs until smooth. Temper the egg mixture with one-quarter of the hot milk and then add it back to the pan. Whisk to combine.
- Continue to cook on medium heat stirring constantly. When the custard thickens, remove it from the heat and whisk in the white chocolate. Pour the pastry cream into a container and place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on top of the cream so no skin forms. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- For the Pie: Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and creme de banana and whip to very stiff peaks. Place the cold pastry cream into another bowl and soften by mixing it with a rubber spatula. Slice the bananas into the pastry cream and stir to combine. Fold in the whipped cream. Mound the filling in the middle of the tart shell and smooth it down to the edge.
- Carefully cut the pie into 8 or 10 slices before garnishing. Using a vegetable peeler, shave enough white chocolate curls to cover the pastry cream. Dust the top with cocoa powder. Serve immediately or refrigerate.